Pazartesi, Haziran 04, 2012

My Fucked Up Fantasy World

Note: This blog will not make any sense, if you don't follow the instructions.

Click on the video and listen several times. (It repeats itself for twenty five seconds)
Read the verses along the way.



Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold,
To Dungeons Deep and Caverns Old,
The Pines were Roaring on The Heights,
The Winds were Moaning in the Night,
The Fire was Red, it Flaming Spread,
The Trees Like Torches Blazed with Light.



Breathe in, breathe out.

Now, one more time.


Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold,
To Dungeons Deep and Caverns Old,
The Pines were Roaring on The Heights,
The Winds were Moaning in the Night,
The Fire was Red, it Flaming Spread,
The Trees Like Torches Blazed with Light.




Now hear my words,
which is a confession.
I have been mistaken.
How many times have I refused to acknowledge Tolkien's fantasy genius;
Refused his epic story telling skills; and not saw, how it was not authored, but created as if the life breathed on the pages.
I was spiteful in a way.
I thought, these campaign-setting novels were better.
I thought, he didn't tell anything other than a draggy adventure spread onto a thousand page.
I scolded a lot about it; and even said that (may god save my soul), it was overrated.

But now I see my folly.
His way of putting the Middle Earth together cannot be grasped easily.
That being said, I thought I did.
I think we all did.
Because when I listen to this song I remember that I've mistaken the fantasy role playing to the sessions of ego-boosting, frivolous adventuring.

Listen to the misty mountains...

The purity of these verses crushes your level 40 fighter/ranger/priest or one-xp-away-to-be-demigod-wizards or sorcerers.

Not just yours, every one of ours...


Hiç yorum yok: